RIDDOR Recording Requirements

Video 10 of 16
1 min 18 sec
Want to watch this video? Sign up for the course or enter your email below to watch one free video.

Unlock This Video Now for FREE

This video is normally available to paying customers.
You may unlock this video for FREE. Enter your email address for instant access AND to receive ongoing updates and special discounts related to this topic.

Records of incidents covered by RIDDOR are also important. They ensure that you collect sufficient information to allow you to properly manage health and safety risks. This information is a valuable management tool that can be used as an aid to risk assessment, helping to develop solutions to potential risks. In this way, records also help to prevent injuries and ill health, and control costs from accidental loss.

You must keep a record of any accident, occupational disease or dangerous occurrence which requires reporting under RIDDOR; and any other occupational accident causing injuries that result in a worker being away from work or incapacitated for more than three consecutive days (not counting the day of the accident but including any weekends or other rest days).

You do not have to report over-three-day injuries unless the incapacitation period goes on to exceed seven days.

If you are an employer who has to keep an accident book, the record you make in this will be enough. You must produce RIDDOR records when asked by HSE, local authority or ORR inspectors.