RIDDOR What and How to Report

Video 8 of 16
1 min 23 sec
Want to watch this video? Sign up for the course or enter your email below to watch one free video.

Unlock This Video Now for FREE

This video is normally available to paying customers.
You may unlock this video for FREE. Enter your email address for instant access AND to receive ongoing updates and special discounts related to this topic.

Fatalities, specified injuries and dangerous occurrences must be reported to RIDDOR without delay, and all deaths to workers and non-workers, with the exception of suicides, must be reported if they arise from a work-related accident, including an act of physical violence to a worker.

Most reporting must now be done by going to the HSE website, where there are forms which are completed online. After completion, you will receive a copy of the report for your records.

There is a telephone service for reporting fatal and specified injuries only, but all other reports need to be submitted online.

Reports are not required generally for death or injuries that result from medical or dental treatment, examinations carried out by or under the supervision of a doctor or from duties carried out by members of the armed forces whilst on duty.

Road traffic accidents involving a moving vehicle on a public road do not have to be reported unless they are associated with loading or unloading operations or work being carried out alongside a road, for example, construction or maintenance work.  Neither the escape or leak of a substance being transported by a vehicle nor an accident involving a train need to be reported.